Food & Beverage Electropolishing & Passivation Services
Food manufacturers have particularly stringent requirements around the durability of the equipment used in their production processes. If bacteria or other pathogens are allowed to contaminate the production process, customers could become terribly ill as a result.
Food & Beverage Electropolishing Services
What is the purpose of Food & Beverage Electropolishing services?
The FDA and other government agencies have strict hygiene regulations regarding food packaging and processing equipment. It goes beyond mere corrosion resistance: components must also be resistant to biological contamination as well. If equipment isn’t kept sanitary and free of biofilms, serious bacterial growth – including E. coli, salmonella, and listeria – could result.
The answer: electropolishing. This process, which involves running an electrical current through metal components submerged in a chemical solution, has become a tried-and-true solution for strengthening metal food processing components against the threat of corrosion and contamination.
What are the benefits of Food & Beverage Electropolishing services?
- Bacteria tend to collect in the crevices and pits of metal and rougher spots along the surface area of the metal. Electropolishing leaves the surface area of stainless steel significantly smoother at a microscopic level, making it a lot more difficult for bacteria to grow.
- The smoother surface area of electropolished metal is easier to clean during routine maintenance.
- Electropolished parts have improved strength and increased longevity.
- Electropolishing also helps remove burrs and other surface imperfections where bacteria can collect.
Electro-Max, one of the top electropolishing companies in the industry, holds ISO 9001:2015 and ISO 14001:2015 certifications. We can provide first-class electroplating services for the food & beverage industry on the following alloys:
- 304 Sintered
- 318 (2205 Duplex)
- 330 (cast)
- 5-f (Like 416)
Food & Beverage Passivation Services
What is the purpose of Food & Beverage Passivation Services?
Passivation is another frequently used process for strengthening metal parts used in food or beverage manufacturing. During the fabrication process, stainless steel will generally come into contact with grease, oil or other contaminants that will compromise the chromium oxide layer that naturally forms on its surface.
What are the benefits of Food & Beverage Passivation Services?
Passivation can help improve the corrosion resistance of stainless steel:
- Passivation helps the chromium oxide layer form faster and thicker for increased corrosion resistance
- Passivation does not use electricity as part of the finishing process
- Unlike electropolishing, passivation doesn’t change the material’s appearance
Electro-Max can perform passivation services on the following grades of stainless steel:
- 304/304L Prodec
- 316/316L Prodec